15 January 2008

Black holes and revelations.

Everyday that has led to the impending departure of January 15, 11pm, has been absolutely amazing. The past 3 weeks were filled with beautiful reunions and incredible food. Affirmation revealed itself in many ways and for that, there is sincere thanksgiving. I also saw how all of my friends are these different representations of me. They all reflect some part of who I am and I guess who I am comes from so many corners of life. I see this as really good and true.

And what is ahead? Oh, just a small country that has filled my heart with love, ache, curiosity and anticipation. I know these next months will be an important and much needed time for me and God. My suitcase is nearly full and I am stepping out in faith in a matter of hours. The days have been emotional - so emotional. But the kind that reminds me of just how much I feel and value people.

These emotions then started this question in my mind, "What does it mean to need other people?" In other words, why is it important for us to need each other? I often have a tendency to assign the word "need" with negative connotations like weakness and inadequacy. But that isn't what I really want to believe nor really think. To need each other, to only know love when we are in community, I think those are marks of humility and courage. For my many relationships, this season of Cambodia will be a period of distance and separation but there is also a lot of encouragement to look ahead to for when we come back together, sit and eat, and share how we have grown and learned new things about ourselves.

"Our conception of ourselves is bound to be profoundly affected by our conception - and our experience - of love. And our love, or our lack of it, our willingness to risk it or our determination to avoid it, will in the end be an expression of ourselves: of who we think we are, of what we want to be, of what we think we are here for." - Merton

No comments: