10 June 2008

The nerd within.


Sometimes I spend way too much time on the internet and then the little part of me that is total computer nerd gets switched on. And then I drool over shiny things of metal and plastic and say to myself, One day... one day... One day I will have my very own little 15-inch MacBook Pro, anti-glare, set to my favorite resolution of 1152x720, full of delicious RAM and gigahertz... (Hopefully one day sooner than later.)

I like to think it's part hereditary because I am just like my father. He and I both love to look at gadgets and gizmos, though perhaps dad is much more of an enthusiast than I am. I am more into the internety/webby stuff...

This happens every so often... I sit around and dream of all the beautiful things I might be so lucky to acquire in life. I've had a lot of stuff break on me in these recent years. iBook G4, iPod G4 (how vintage that big chunky thing feels now), digital camera #1, digital camera #2, cell phone, etc. I have lost things, have had things stolen. One of the biggest life lessons that I have learned is that stuff breaks and life goes on. Also, learn to take care of the stuff you have. You shouldn't hold on to your stuff with dear life (for stuff is not life) but if you can manage a little extra effort to take care of them, you should. Sigh. This is something I am still learning.

Of course, those brilliant bastards over at Apple tantalize my senses with every new product they showcase. And I, ever growing in the exercise and discipline of patience and self-control, am learning to be okay without getting everything that I may want.

As for now... for now, I return to my little iPod nano (a gift that I will always feel so grateful for) and continue on with my merry nerdy way downloading, uploading. It helps with these restless nights and in their silly way, bring small pieces of happiness into my life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

do you want to join the nerd in me and hubert as we go buy our iphone 2.0 on friday july 11? i was hoping to have the new one and hubert have the old one so that i could stand next to him and ask, "why is your phone taking so long to load the webpage?" but now he is getting the same as me. how sad :(

Unknown said...

you should see my 1st gen ipod :0) definitely a brick in size and weight XD
at least it's signed by jars of clay ;)