Today was my first day of the new job as an after-teacher for 5th-8th graders. I basically sit there, watch them do their homework and be available if they need help. Every few minutes I have to remind the rowdy ones to keep focused. Of course they respond pretending to be either mentally retarded or by spouting Chuck Norris facts at me.
Overheard today:
"Chuck Norris doesn't need sunblock. The sun is too scared to touch him."
"Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie are the two hottest women in the world."
"I like Hooters for the women."
"A kid named Elmo used to come here. But then he died."
"Are you a Democrat or a Republican?"
If they finish their homework early I have to give them busy work. Or as it's being called, "enrichment learning". There's freedom to be creative so I hope I can think of providing material for independent learning that goes beyond giving them a list of vocabulary to look up. Since the class has mixed grades with each student going at their own pace, actual teacher stage time is at a minimal.
During the break, the boys play tag or strangle each other and the girls read their teeny bopper magazines. I tried to make conversation about Hannah Montana and guessing which Jonas brother is which. All the kids are awkward little things. They are all stereotypical Chinese-American suburban kids. Hmmm.
08 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"The sun is too scared to touch him." Buahahahaha! I love it!
It's always thought-provoking to spend time with kids that age. Brings me back to when I was all awkward and young and just starting out, you know?
Post a Comment