03 November 2008

Corky Lee Exhibit @ CAM.


Asian Roots / American Reality: Photographs by Corky Lee

"Showcases the work of New York-based photojournalist, Corky Lee, widely known as the most prolific photographer documenting the Asian & Pacific Islander American experience. For 30 years, Lee's images have chronicled the expansion and evolution of the Asian & Pacific Islander American community. The Chinese American Museum is proud to debut 88 timeless photographs from Corky Lee's career in his first major retrospective and only West Coast premiere."

This exhibit is going to be up from NOVEMBER 16, 08 to MAY 31, 2009.

While I was observing Dia de los Muertos on Olvera St. yesterday, my project partner and I walked over to CAM because neither of us had been there before. Nevermind that we're both Chinese and was not supposed to be looking at Chinese culture, it was still a worthy experience for me to be reminded of the history that has taken place here. Sometimes I don't know how I am supposed to feel about these things. On the one hand, I have such an emotional identification to my Chinese heritage and other times, I don't think I know what the word heritage even means. You can get so used to just being "what" you are that you don't take the time to really explore or question it.

Well, I am definitely going to see this exhibit sometime. There is no admission fee, only a suggested donation. So, if anyone would like to go with me, let me know. I will most likely add this to my winter break list.

3 comments:

Geoffrey said...

really. i love your blog

Danica said...

You can't see, but I'm raising my hand again.

Also, have you taken the Asian American Experience course?

I don't want to be a silly two & half-generation, overly enthralled grandchild and niece of immigrants, but it was probably one of the most interesting classes I took. (Granted, I did the report on my family and MYSELF, talk about narcissism), I still didn't realize what it took to be an Asian immigrant.
It's easy to think you're "White" only a few generations in, after all "model minority," right? Blech.

Interesting dichotomy for Asian-Americans.

So me me me me! I wanna go!

Wendy, I love your blog, too.

Wendy said...

Re: Geoffrey, you are so kind. Thank you for being a reader. Can't wait for D & R 2009? Yes?


Re: Danica,

No, I never took it. I kind of feel like my 18 years in America has been my Asian-American Experience. I am what they call a "1.5" generation. My entire upbringing, I've been in the middle, having been born in another country but have been raised in this one. It's hard. I think it is only now that I am older that I can finally start to deconstruct my Chinese heritage, with my Western enculturation and my Christian identity. Oh the complexities!

Alright, let's do it. You can take the Goldline out to meet me! It's just across the street from Union Station.