06 November 2008

A few thoughts.

Yesterday I reprised my occasional role as baby-sitter and on my way out, the baby mama wanted to have lunch and talk with me because we had briefly talked earlier in the morning about... *drum roll*... Prop 8. I always knew instinctively that we stood differently on religion and politics so I was hesitant to open up about it. Then, when I was ready to go home, we ended up having an hour and half conversation about homosexuality, the Bible, church and I got on my soap box and preached my vision for Evangelical Christians and world poverty and much more. Oy. I really didn't want to talk at all because it's so vulnerable to share these thoughts and feelings that I've been wrestling with. In the end, it was the same as many times before - she wanted to "save" me while I wanted to "save" her. It's hard when she represents the very demographic that I've had the most problems with.

This should probably be an entire post on it's own because I have so many thoughts on the church but because they're still such works in progress, I am not ready to unload all of them on here yet. Nevertheless, it's been on my mind and heart a lot lately and has made me a bad student and daughter/sister because of the internal turmoil I feel. Yes, I have thoughts, opinions, pain but most importantly, vision that I am anxious to know what I am supposed to do in life. Sometimes I think I have the gift of teaching and speaking that I should become some kind of leader. Other times, I think I should be more behind the scenes for the sake of keeping my ego abate.

I was watching one of the sketches from Shia LaBeouf's latest hosting stint on SNL earlier and there was a quote of Leviticus 18:22 ("Thou shalt not lay with mankind as with womankind"). Because of this recent conversation that has left me really unsettled, so I quickly had to refresh my Biblical memory. I won't go into it here but the verse has reminded me that we have to understand context and original translation. I tried to point out to my friend the importance of understanding social and historical context and how a lot of Biblical instructions have needed to be reinterpreted today. Did you know women were not allowed to enter the temple if they were on their period? Or wear braids? Or one of the big ones, to teach?

Moving onto more superficial but equally interesting things... the Sex and the City sequel has been confirmed. I cannot possibly think of what they might have left to talk about so I am definitely curious about the plot. But, curse of the sequel? Yeah. I'm weary.

I like that they are still counting the popular votes. Apparently, Missouri is left. As of 6pm, it was Obama 53% and McCain 46%. I think that's quite a margin.

Oh, Ugly Betty just came on! Her cute neighbor is the latest potential love interest. No, Betty! Don't do it! DON'T DATE YOUR NEIGHBOR!!! Save yourself before it's too late!! (Pause.) Oh yeah... it's just a ... TV... show.

No comments: