Name: Lindsay Price
Age: 32
Ethnicity: German-Irish & Korean
Might recognize her from: 90210 (the original), US version of Couplings, Pepper Dennis, Jack & Jill (quite a few shows that never made it past a season)
Watch her in: Lipstick Jungle on NBC (if it stays on the air through February Sweeps!)
Personal favorite: Her current role as Victory Ford in Lipstick Jungle
Name: John Cho
Age: 36
Ethnicity: Korean
Might recognize him from: Harold & Kumar, Better Luck Tomorrow, Off Centre and long list of other shows and films
Watch him in: STAR TREK! as Hikaru Sulu (2009)
Personal favorite: When he used to be a singer/songwriter for his band Left of Zed
Name: Lucy Liu
Age: 40
Ethnicity: Chinese
Might recognize her from: Kill Bill, Charlie's Angels
Watch her in: Dirty Sexy Money on ABC
Personal favorite: 3 Needles (beautiful indie film about AIDS), the short lived ABC drama Cashmere Mafia, Lucky Number Slevin, Ally McBeal
Name: Daniel Henney
Age: 29
Ethnicity: English & Korean
Might recognize him from: Korean dramas and modeling
Watch him in: X-Men Origins: Wolverine as Agent Zero (2009)
Personal favorite: Haven't seen him in anything yet but he's too gorgeous to not be included on this list
Name: Michelle Krusiec
Age: 34
Ethnicity: Chinese (last name came from American uncle who adopted her after moving to America for a better future)
Might recognize her from: Dirty Sexy Money, Titus, One World
Watch her in: This Might Hurt (new show for FOX - maybe out mid season?)
Personal favorite: As a Chinese-American lesbian daughter in indie film Saving Face
Name: Byron Mann
Age: 41
Ethnicity: Chinese
Might recognize him from: Dark Angel, Catwoman, Smallville
Watch him in: stuff in production phases - 39, Vauxhall Crossed, Motherland
Personal favorite: a Canadian miniseries called Dragon Boys in which he played a cop mixed in the drama of a Chinese mafia (I randomly caught this on a satellite HBO channel in Cambodia in my guestroom)
Name: Kelly Hu
Age: 40
Ethnicity: Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian & English
Might recognize her from: CSI NY, X-Men 2 as Death Strike, In Case of Emergency
Watch her in: UK's The Tournament
Personal favorite: Her supportive role in Chinese-American indie film Shanghai Kiss
Well, there you go! Clearly, my list is not very long. I'm really picky. And frankly, I'm only now starting to discover more Asian actors but we're so under-represented as it is! I've watched two indie films recently that I mentioned in this list - Saving Face and Shanghai Kiss. Both deal with the Chinese-American identity. Both are filled with quirks of the culture, the language, immigration, generation gap, etc. And the protagonist in each of these films didn't have an accent. Oh, Asians who can speak perfectly fluent English? And they can act? Imagine that.
I'm finding that I love good, well-written stories about Asian Americans yet I also love AA actors who play roles that have nothing to do with their skin color. Yes, the roles that deal explicitly with their culture but also roles that completely transcend stereotypes. Unfortunately, only a few actors have been able to do that.
1 comment:
I love Lindsay Price on Lipstick Jungle. She's my favorite character!
Post a Comment