23 March 2009

Lately.

Lately, I've been spending most of my time, energy and money in this place they call, Bottega Louie. It is a place of fancy. Where nothing is too good or too expensive for our guests. Where the salt in our shakers are pink because they come from the pink salt rocks of the Himalayas. Hand-grounded pure salt. A place where they spent a year perfecting the "L" of the branding, going through thousands of Ls until they found the right one. A branding inspired by Gucci. Where gold brass and Italian marble adorn the entire house. Where the aesthetics of the place are every bit as important as the organization. Where the president wished our every move could be choreographed like a ballet.

It is a place that I am coming to know more everyday. A place that often leaves me confounded, somewhere between impressed and conflicted. I spent the last 3 years of my undergraduate education learning about the poor, now I will spend the next - year? - learning about the rich. And once again, life moves me forward, shocking me with a new culture, challenging me, testing me.

Our uniforms? Black shoes (no lace, the kind you can polish), black socks, black pants, black belt. A white, long-sleeved button up shirt, with no pockets and no buttons on the collar. None of which anyone will see under our kitchen jackets. But they'll know. Some of the most meticulous, detail-oriented people I have ever met in my life. They care about everything, down to how many plastic utensils are in each container for to-go orders. Everything is critiqued, given a dozen edits. And yet, they are also some of the most passionate, professional and nurturing people.

I'm still trying to find myself, my place, my voice, in all of this. In the big, grand house itself, in the management, amongst the staff and my fellow co-workers.

For now, I'll be grateful for the remaining work-free weekends and all those beautiful paychecks that will come to my account. And 47 days till graduation!

1 comment:

Christyna Martinez said...

haha...im so proud of u...but I miss u just the same!