29 June 2008

Barista.

After I was out being tested and screened for Roy's, I went on the computer to do the usual dance on craigslist, kind of just casually browsing through new job postings. Within five minutes, I carelessly tossed out resumes and made a few phone calls. I was tired, unfocused, but thought that even a few effortless actions couldn't have hurt.

I got a call from one of the places I emailed, a new coffee shop opening in downtown, High Point Coffee. (It's a franchise, but no corporate monster like Starbucks and uses all fair trade coffee.) I had some decent experience working at the coffee place at school, albeit APU's machinery and choice of roast is sub par in comparison to the competitive world of coffee. Nevertheless, those few months provided enough confidence to apply.

Since I received the call after getting a second interview from Roy's, I was only minimally interested in this coffee job. But I thought, since nothing was for sure yet, I had to move forward in giving myself options so I went in last Friday, in a t-shirt and shorts, saying the wrong name of the manager (I heard it wrong in the voicemail), not asking any significant questions (where do you get your coffee?; are there any benefits?; what does the job pay?), except for what were the colors of the uniform. Haha. Of course, right? I have to know what I'm going to wear.

That same day, I received a call saying that they would love to have me join the team. It was like sweet music to my ears that I played the message a few times. The job will be about 20-30 hours. I'm waiting for my schedule. But really, I'm grateful for a part-time. We had a meeting today so we could fill out paperwork and get our training manuals. I got to meet most of my co-workers and they all seem really lovely people. They all live in the city and ride bikes or take the Metro. That warmed my heart. The bus ride is super easy and drops me off right around the corner from it.

The place is in the Bunker Hill District (1st/Hope) so I'll get to walk by this shiny hunk of metal whenever I work:


I go to Roy's tomorrow just to follow through and see if anything might happen with that. But for now, I'm going to go study about espresso and drink recipes. (I never got training at school either, we just kind of had to figure shit out or whoever knew more would tell the others.)

But I have a job! in L.A.!

3 comments:

Anna said...

congrats! I may have to head out that way for a cup of joe before I leave, then. :]

Susie B said...

yay!!! I'm so happy for you!

Albert said...

Congrats, Wendy!! =)