Boy, have I been glad that the weather has been so glorious these past few days. I've been laying out in my backyard, basking in the warmth of the sun. Perfect way to wrap up winter break. Winter break in Southern California. The words don't even make sense together.
Other things that don't make sense? I stumbled upon an indie movie on Youtube (you'd be surprised how many you could find if you look hard enough), called "Suburban Girl". It was your run of the mill May/December romance of impressionable small town girl who moves to NYC in pursuit of a career as an editor. Except, the pairing was between Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alec Baldwin. Their lack of chemistry was awful! But being a sentimental Buffy fan, I'll basically watch anything that SMG is in. Even as she repeatedly fails in her movie career. Buffy was the best thing that ever happened to her.
I finally registered for classes yesterday. School only starts next week. I considered taking the course Epistemology (the study of knowledge) except it would be right after Walk/Jog (yes, that P.E. class I've put off for five years!). Apparently, my vanity trumps my desire to learn because I cannot imagine showing up to class sweaty. Instead, I opted for Comparative Religions, because it's at a later time slot, but also because I want to figure out if I'm a universalist. I think a lot of people fail to see the connections between Christianity and other religions. Besides, I'd like to believe that God is bigger than any religion.
Here's my schedule because you care:
- Comparative Religions
- Modern Political Thought
- Abnormal Psychology
- Senior Seminar: Global Issues & Perspectives
- P.E.
It's pretty sweet. I get to learn about everything I think about on a regular basis. God, politics, mental disorders, the world and my body. P.E. is kind of strategic. I'm going to work off all the weight I've put on since college during my last semester of it. See, I'm not just a slacker. I'm so smart I can justify just about any decision I make.
In other exciting life news (but what's more exciting than me going on about school?), I will be jobless as of next Friday. The tutoring center is closing because we've lost too many students and they can't afford to keep it open. In other words, they can't afford to pay me. Losing this job is totally fine with me. I've hated it so much, I've gone in everyday just hoping to get fired! If that doesn't scream unhappiness, I don't know what does. So, we're back to the drawing board.
My identity as a poor college student has made me think about money more often than I would like. But no matter how broke I am, I still cannot justify selling my eggs. Sure, I've thought about it. Yes, I have even stared at the application form on donor websites. But I've also read a lot on the ethics of egg donation.
There have been several journal publications on the commodification of the body. At the end of the day, however tempting it sounds to earn up to $8,000 for eggs I may not even ever use (aside from the one you lose every month anyways during your menstrual cycle), I just can't do it. But, is being financially compensated for your plasma okay? Where do we draw the line? Apparently, between selling your DNA to allow others to produce children and giving blood to people who need it.
P.S. Out of curiosity, I put up a poll as to what you think I should do I after I graduate! Check it out and vote.
09 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment